Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Color Me Happy

So, I've been coloring some of the My Favorite Things bears from the Birthday Bears stamp set. I use my Prismacolor pencils for recliner coloring (even though I might drop one in the recliner occasionally).

However, after I did a bunch of pencil-colored bears, I got it in my head to try some watercolor with these guys. 


They remind me of a children's book and watercolor seemed like a great medium for that. So I broke out the Distress inks, Tombow markers, Distress Oxides and Koi watercolors and played around. This is my favorite little scene. It looks like the big bear is explaining something to this cub...I decided to draw in a butterfly for them to admire.


I stamped the bears first, painted them and the grass and then masked the bears. I added the sunrise sky colors with Distress Oxides because they blend so beautifully. I used the Spiced Marmalade, Picked Raspberry, Wilted Violet and Salty Ocean. 

When I was finished, I added some more color with a dry paper towel and kind of streaked it. Then I had to go back in with a brush and some Koi olive and bright green for the grass. The butterfly is done with a reddish pink Tombow marker. Good thing I used good paper, I nearly worked this to death! 


I'm entering this is the Coloring Virtuoso category for the MFT contest. It's amazing what kind of work is being entered...it's been really inspiring for me to try my best and not stop at my first try.

Thanks for stopping by!
Chark

1 comment:

  1. Your bears just shine with your watercolored sky! I love the little butterfly you gave them to admire!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my crafty friends!