Friday, August 10, 2018

National Book Lovers Day

Yesterday (August 9th) was National Book Lovers Day (side question, shouldn't that be Book Lovers' Day with the apostrophe?) and I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT! It's supposed to be a day to set aside for reading. Luckily, I did get in some reading, but I would've made it a party if I'd known it was a special day...like taken my book outside with an iced tea on the swing. Luckily, I can still do that today. 

 


Here are some book facts I found. 
• The first lending library in the U.S. is The Franklin Public Library in Franklin, Massachusetts. In 1778 when the town was incorporated, they changed the name to Franklin to honor Benjamin Franklin. When the asked him to donate a bell, he said he'd donate books for the town's residents because "sense" was preferable to "sound." The original books are still there!
• The Harry Potter books are allegedly the most banned books in the world due to religious complaints.
• Icelandic people read more books than anyone in the world.
• The longest sentence in a printed book is 823 words long and belongs to Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.
• My daughter and I are both published in different books! (Mine is on the sidebar and hers is here.

Here are some cute Oz book charms I think I need to get.


And you know I've got to share a great cupcake featuring books!



This is what I'm reading right now—A Case for Solomonand it's kinda fascinating. I'd never heard of this historical kidnapping before, and it's so complicated for a lot of reasons. Most interesting to me is that two different mothers claim a 4-year-old boy as theirs, but aren't 100% sure at first. I'd know my kids anywhere, especially at this age. The mothers hadn't seen their sons for 8 months and for 18 months but come on! This isn't an infant to one-year-old...that I would understand. Kids change so much in their first year. But by age 4-5? I don't think so. I'm hoping the book actually wraps up with the answer as to whose child it is, but I'm afraid it won't!


Lastly, to celebrate Book Lovers Day, I'll share a pic of my daughter and her library. She's the librarian at an elementary school and she wrote a grant proposal to get these colorful tables. So proud! Doesn't this look inviting? And she was excited to show off her workplace...considering she taught herself to read at age 3 (yes, that's a mommy brag, lol), this seems to be a perfect job fit!



Happy Friday!
Chark





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!