Friday, February 17, 2017

Let the Good Times Roll

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities ever, maybe because I got to visit the French Quarter when I was 16 and impressionable. Still, the city has a feeling, a history, a tangible difference from every other place I've visited. I've been there three times and every time it's the same—uniquely New Orleans. If you've been, maybe you know what I mean. If you've never been, and plan to go, you must do three things: eat beignets at the Cafe du Monde; try crawfish, a po'boy or jambalaya; and walk the streets listening to jazz and visit Jackson Square in the Quarter. After that you can add ride the streetcar, visit the Audubon Zoo, see the sculptures in City Park, ride a river boat on the mighty Mississippi, take a tour of the Garden District and the St. Louis Cemetery #1 and a million other things. This photo is from our last trip there a few years ago. 



This time of year always reminds me of how much I love New Orleans. I've never been at Mardi Gras and probably don't want to, as I'm middle-aged and not free-wheeling, but I can only imagine the city vibe is a whole 'nother world at Mardi Gras time.



I have this New Orleans-stamped card up on the a2z Scrapbooking blog today, hope you'll pop over to say hi. 

And because Mardi Gras is coming up on February 28th, I thought I'd add some N'awlins facts and fun for you today. 

The French Quarter was originally founded as a shelter from hurricanes in the 18th century and laid out in a rectangle block. These next two pics came from here...and aren't mine, but they are lovely.




Mardi Gras means parade floats and it's illegal for float riders to be without a mask. The original reason for the masks was to get rid of social restrictions so anyone could mingle with anyone else. 

The beads thrown from the floats have been around since the early 1900s and the flashing to get them is only a few decades old. Other things are thrown like stuffed animals and toys...not sure if you have to flash your top for a teddy bear. 



One tradition at carnival time (which ends on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday) is King Cake...and if you get the piece with the little plastic baby in it, you get good luck for the year and gotta bring the cake next year. Here's a recipe from the Food Network.


That's all I have for now...except don't forget to eat Pancakes on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) since it's a tradition started to get rid of all the rich food before Lent (and fasting) begins. I mean, if I have to, I have to.

Happy Friday,
Chark

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this sweet post, so fun to read about New Orleans! And very nice card of course!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my crafty friends!