Monday, August 6, 2018

Fantastic Beasts Portrait

In the Willowing Arts summer online class, Ever After 2018, we worked on a dual portrait of the Goldstein sisters from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I haven't see this movie yet, but I do like Harry Potter, and this lesson was really interesting, so now I need to see it.




Here's my sketch as I worked. Bald chicks! There was a lot of measuring and straight lines for this, which I have to say isn't exactly up my alley, but it's supposed to be a framed portrait so it was necessary.



Here's the final portrait...even though I'm not finished with the mat or frame yet. We used watercolor pencils, but I ended up abandoning them for Tombow markers used as watercolors because I didn't have the right colors and because I haven't gotten the hang of using the pencils I have. I got the Inktense pencils, but I kinda miss my cheaper ones that I gave away. There's just a lot of pigment and I don't like how they move on watercolor paper. 


Also, I half-assed the stamping by not making masks and not getting different-colored waterproof inks (I just had black Staz-On), so that part doesn't look as good as it should. But it'll improve once I get the paint on, I think. Here's a close-up of the girls. I added some colored pencil on top of the watercolor once I was finished for shading. See the little creatures on their shoulders? Those would be the Fantastic Beasts!


This online class is available if you're interested. This is my first one with multiple teachers and techniques. It's been a learning experience! Next are oil pastels and I've never used them, so wish me luck!

Happy Monday!
Chark




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!