Monday, June 11, 2018

German Chocolate Cake Day

Happy German Chocolate Cake Day! Here's a little bit of trivia on the origination of German Chocolate Cake and then some ways to celebrate!


National German Chocolate Cake Day is observed by chocolate lovers annually on June 11.
Although the name may sound like the cake originated in Germany, it did not.   The cake’s roots can be traced back to 1852 when American, Sam German, made a type of dark baking chocolate for the American Baker’s Chocolate Company.  Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate’s brand was named in honor of Sam German.
Over 100 years later in 1957, a recipe for “German’s Chocolate Cake” appeared as the Recipe of the Day in the Dallas Morning Star.  This recipe, created by Mrs. George Clay, used the Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate, and it became quite popular.  During this time, General Foods owned the Baker’s brand and distributed Mrs. Clay’s recipe to other newspapers around the country.  The current name of German Chocolate Cake, as we know it today, came to be as publications started dropping the ‘s.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Celebrate by enjoying a piece of German Chocolate Cake with friends.  Include photos on social media using #GermanChocolateCakeDay.
So here are a couple of recipes for you to try...I included the traditional one with coconut in the frosting and one without because I am no fan of coconut. The flavor's fine, but the little bits that stick around and you end up finding in your teeth later don't thrill me. My husband says that's the fun of coconut...I am not convinced.

This cake recipe is from Taste of Home and I tend to like most of their recipes that I try.

Here's a recipe from All Recipes that makes a German Chocolate Cake Caramel Icing without the coconut if you're like me and just want a yummy cake, no little bits in your teeth. Because I'm a crafter and cardmaker, I've included some fun cake stamps you could purchase, even if they aren't specifically German Chocolate Cake stamps.


These stamps are from Jane's Doodles and are clear stamps.



This set is from Spellbinders and can be found at Scrapbook.com, one of my fave shops online.


And here's a card I made for a2z Scrapbooking, featuring the new digital Sugartree Stamps, available only at a2z. 


Happy Monday!
Chark







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!