Friday, September 21, 2018

Pocahontas In Living Color

I shared a Snow White project and Fantastic Beasts I did awhile ago with the online class, Ever After 2018, and next up is my version of Pocahontas and friend. For the background, I decided to go with Color Bursts (Brutus Monroe set) and then followed the lesson with the acrylic paint and oil pastels. This was my first time working with the oil pastels and they blended pretty nicely. I still prefer gelatos for crayon type blending (they are water soluble) but it was fun to try a new medium.

First up, here's the sketch...


the Color Burst background and acrylic painted outline and shadows...



the first layer of acrylic wash and some oil pastel shading...


and the final piece, with oil pastels and acyrlic paint. The hair is paint, and some of the outlining (her eyes, the racoon's eyes), but the background is all Color Burst and everything else is oil pastel.


Here's the close-up so you can see the shading a bit better. So happy I signed up for this course, it's a great way to try new mediums with an artist who uses them and guides you through the lesson. I think the raccoon was supposed to be more gray, but this is how he turned out.


I highly suggest any of the lessons over at Willowing Art. I saved my dollars to give this class a shot and I'm really happy I did. I'm really slow getting to the lessons (because they do take a bit of time) but you get lifetime access, so there's no pressure. The theme is fairy tales but Dorothy from Oz is included in this year's class, so I'm looking forward to that one!

Happy Friday!
Chark


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!