Friday, March 22, 2019

Women's History Month


Although it's odd that we have to have a month to highlight women in history (just as we have a month to honor black people in history), I think it's awesome. When I saw Hidden Figures, the movie, I was astounded that I was fifty years old and had never heard of these women and their contribution to the NASA program. It is an amazing story and a great movie. One day, the history books will be more inclusive, but until then...

Have a Happy 

To celebrate, I've decided to share some coloring I've done of a woman in my Whimsical Girl art journal from a talented woman named Jane Davenport. Here's the drawing.


And here's my colored version, using Prismacolor Pencils. I love those pencils...I have Polychromos and like those too and find them less waxy but Prismas have beautiful colors and I just like how I can get dark coverage, even though I wear those babies down! I used blue marker on her dress and White Uniball for hair highlights.


And here's the close-up.


Okay, here's a little story of how I stopped tearing down other women. One day when I was being jealous of something another woman had achieved, I realized she didn't take it from me, she didn't stop me from having my own success, and that it was stupid to envy her. That was kind of an eye-opener. It doesn't mean I won't snark about someone's Oscar dress that's hideous, lol, but it's said in fun. 

We need to lift each other up, celebrate success of others and be happy when someone is happy. We succeed when we all achieve. We benefit from the success of women in our society. And so I love this fabulous quote, from a fabulous young woman, Malala Yousafzai, who was thrust into the spotlight and is now working for other women. You can see her story here.


Here's a link to some very cool Women's History books as well, with books I have read and books I want to read...maybe you'll find something good too.


Happy Friday!
Chark


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!