Monday, May 20, 2013

Birthday Sandvich

That's not a typo, that's a thing. Sandvich is how you spell sandwich in Team Fortress 2...how do I know? The son, of course. Ben wanted a Sandvich Cake for his 13th birthday party, so I attempted it. There are plenty of these cakes on the web for inspiration, but I didn't want to use fondant since I don't like how it tastes. You can pin the picture if you have a sandvich cake in your future by clicking the pin it button at the top of the blog and choosing the picture you want.






The bread is just a cooled square white cake cut diagonally. The brown edge of the cake is perfect for the bread crust. I inverted one of the diagonal cake pieces (for the top piece of bread) and gently scraped with a knife to remove the browned cake and reveal the white underneath. 

While the cake baked, I made the toppings. The cheese is made from yellow Starburst candies, molded like clay to cheese shape, and the tomatoes are red chocolate candy melts from Wilton, melted and piped into circles on waxed paper. When they hardened, it was easy to transfer to the bottom cake layer.

The lunchmeat and lettuce are just buttercream, tinted pink and green respectively. I probably should've  made the frosting a bit stiffer if I wanted the lettuce to look frilly, but it worked okay and Ben was happy. The olive is made of Mike and Ikes all squished and formed into an olive and the a Mike and Ike sliced for the pimento. They stick together without icing.

The cupcake toppers are just the characters from the game, printed and circle punched, then taped to toothpicks. Nothing too fancy here, as he is a boy and cares not a fig for fancy. Which is lucky for me!

All in all, it turned out nicely, although the candy melts and Starburst made the white cake hard to cut for serving. I only used half the cake mix, so I could've served the leftover cake with just icing and no toppings, but hindsight is 20/20, so they say. 

These all looked better in my head, but that's okay, I made the son happy and that's all that matters, right?! 
Happiest of Mondays,
Chark



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!