Monday, February 23, 2015

Oscar Night Hangover

I didn't do any drinking last night, but I still ended up with a hangover, of sorts. Our little party didn't end until 1 a.m. and I woke up at 5:30 and then got up at 6:30 to get the boy to school. Now, what is a 46-year-old woman thinking if she's doing this? Arrgh! So. Tired. 

Still, since we're in EST, this isn't that different from years past. The Oscars go late when you're not on California time. 

Here's my wrap-up (and I only really care about the dresses, the stars and the opening number...not the awards so much).

Best Dress in my humble opinion: Lupita Nyong's pearl dress. This is unique and still classy and gorgeous. Is there any dress this woman can't pull off? Stunning! Although it occurred to me later that sitting on it would be, well, uncomfortable. Or maybe it was like getting a little beaded massage like those beaded card seat covers. Either way, I'm impressed!



While none of the gowns were terrible, I wasn't in love with Emma Stone's dress. Fashion critics seem to love it, but it's just an odd color and looks a little like moss growing on her arm. She's a doll and I love her as an actress, but just didn't love this one her. They style doesn't scream "I'm in my 20s!"



Loved the dress Anna Kendrick wore and loved her opening number with Neil Patrick Harris. It's classy and sleeveless (that someone in their twenties can definitely pull off) and very Oscar Night worthy.


I have to admit, Rita Ora isn't exactly on my radar...just like I didn't know Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Gray actress, daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith) before last night. But I super love Rita's dress. I don't know how it stands up in the front, but the back fishtail and the color is just gorgeous!


And here's a crafty tie-in, if you're all jazzed by fashion, why not try the Runway Inspired challenge here by Friday to try to win a gift certificate? I've never entered it, but I do love the idea and the cards that people make. Maybe this is the week I enter. Here's your muse photo.


I enjoyed some of the speeches, including Patricia Arquette's reminder that woman should be paid equally for their work already, for the love of God. Ok, she didn't phrase it that way, but I did because it IS 2015 and the pay difference between men and women (for the same job) remains. How is this possibly justified?

And, while I think tucking political agendas in Oscar speeches is a tricky, I gotta agree with her and she didn't take too long to make her point. Always a plus. 

Graham Moore, who won for Best Screenplay (Imitation Game), did his thank yous and then said he had attempted suicide at 16 and that he was now standing on this stage. His message? Stay weird, stay different and one day you'll find a place to fit in and when it's your turn to stand on the stage, pass the message along. Things get better.

I thought it was so beautifully well done.  

Speaking of different, Lady Gaga blew the roof off the building with her medley of The Sound of Music tribute (it's celebrating 50 years). Her voice is beautiful and even Julie Andrews was impressed I think. And I think her hair was gray last night...beautiful, but not really blonde...she looked great in it.

So, what were some of the highlights of the night for you? Some more of mine were our Oscar Night eats. We had lots of food and although it wasn't themed, here are a couple of so-easy recipes that we had last night—for get togethers you might wanna try.


This taco dip recipe is a tasty one, although I do add mild taco sauce to the top of the cream cheese layer and before the shredded cheese.

This Meatball recipe is an oldie but a goodie. And you make it in the crockpot.



Happy Monday...zzzzzz
Chark

1 comment:

  1. We went to an Oscar party too. Definitely about the food. We brought spinach artichoke cheese ball & nachos. My hub makes the nachos one chip at a time. I liked that Eddie Redmayne won for actor in a lead role.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my crafty friends!