Friday, April 24, 2015

Happy Earth Day/Month!

Graphic 45 has a fun challenge this month to celebrate Earth Day, which is always in April and has been around for 45 years this year! The challenge is to upcycle a box, bag or other container and make it new again. I used a beat up padded envelope that I got in the mail the other day. 

I always save these envelopes to reuse when I send a little present to my family and friends, and as I was putting this one away, I thought, this is perfect to fix up! I need to send my sister a birthday present (Happy Birthday, Julie!!) and so this envie is now slated for her gift.

I used Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells, which is one of my faves and put the phrase "something wicked this way comes" right next to the mailing label. I thought she might get a kick out of that.


The red paint (which was the dregs of a spray ink that wouldn't spray so I just dripped it on) looked a little too scary, like blood, so I just sprayed some purple on too and ended up covering it up mostly.

After cutting out some of my favorite images from two different sheets of the Steampunk Spells, I slathered on the Mod Podge and voila! Upcycled birthday envelope!


If you look closely, you'll see the purple bits (on her corset and by her head) are actually leftover paper towel from a spray ink session that I used to clean up and just couldn't part with. The ink is so pretty on the absorbent towel. 

 
Favorite Earth Day Tip: When you're at the atm, at the school pick-up carpool lane, and whenever you find yourself idling, turn the car off. If you're ever idling for more than 10 seconds, it's worth it to turn off the engine and restart. Some people think it wastes gas to restart the engine, but according to the EDF, that's a false belief. And they say idling is actually harder on your vehicle's engine, it's unsafe to breathe in those fumes and it will save carbon emissions and gas by not idling. Just think how those minutes add up! 

I mean, how easy is it to just turn off the car? You don't even have to walk to the recycling bin to do the Earth a favor!!

Happy Earth Day/Month! Go out there and make art of trash!
Chark

1 comment:

I love hearing from my crafty friends!