Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Let's Decorate a Cake

So yesterday was Cake Decorating Day and since I love me some cake...we have a post here to celebrate it! First, I love the idea of cake decorating but my ideas and my talent don't always match up. Sure I made a rose or two in Wilton class at Jo Ann Fabrics...and even an icing clown or two, but really, I just have great ideas and then struggle to make them happen.

I love watching the baking and cupcake decorating tv shows, mostly because it awes me. They say what they're going to make and actually pull it off most of the time! This cake for my son (7 years ago) came out pretty much as I imagined it but not as neat as I'd have liked. The judges on the cake shows would say, "delicious cake, just-right colors but it's a little messy on the presentation." At least that's what I imagine they'd say.


I baked a 9" square cake and a 9x13" cake and mini loaf cakes. The head is half the square, the body is the 9x13 and the arms are the loaf cakes. I just cut the top of the head and hands from the leftover cake. I used two mixes for this one. Luckily, my son was happy with it. The eyes and mouth are melted chocolate piped on.

Here's a sandwich cake he wanted a couple of years later. He wanted it to look like a sandwich because one of his video games has a character who says "sandvich" it a lot. It's a white cake with the brown edge trimmed off and lots of different icings and some Starburst candies shaped into tomatoes. The olive is a gumdrop.


Now onto something really good...CakeWrecks. If you've never seen this site, it's a classic actual lol site with "professional" cakes that really miss the mark.

Here's one cake that is supposed to be Halloween and Spongebob together. Click the link here to see her whole post on Halloween cakes. 


And here's some amazing actual cake decorating. I mean, c'mon, these people deserve a prize! I do not think I could cut into this one...how about you?


And lastly, here's a little cake digi stamp that I think I'm gonna have to get...she's soooo cute! And just $4!


Happy Wednesday!
Chark





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!