Friday, October 4, 2019

I Can't Wait Forever to Get Those Shoes

This line is from The Wizard of Oz and since I didn't celebrate the movie's 80th anniversary in August, I figured it was high time to put the spotlight on my fave movie. As I've mentioned before, it was a family favorite when I was growing up and my sisters and I always watched it with a bowl of popcorn. It was one show we could all agree on and with them being 11 and 7 years older than me, it was a rare thing. So, the movie itself enchanted me with all the singing and dancing, the beautiful and poignant Judy Garland and that pink sparkly ball gown of Glinda's. Oh, and those fabulous ruby slippers! But I also associate family time with the movie and a feeling of nostalgia.


Here's a link to some fun facts, and there were a few I didn't know! Like that Glinda's dress was first worn by Mary Blake in a 1936 movie. What?!



What I did know was that there were multiple directors, actors and directions they wanted this to go, along with accidents and injuries during the filming and it's amazing the movie came out with any cohesion at all. But they did it, and although it lost Best Picture to Gone with the Wind that year, it was up for 6 Oscars, winning one for Best Original Music Score. And I double-dare you not to sing along with it when you watch it. It only had minor box-office receipts, it's now the most watched movie of all time!

Here's a look at some of the Oz things in my house. A ruby slipper ornament from my buddy, Lupe, that I just keep on my desk (near a pic of my cutie bitty daughter who is now 25).


A McDonald's 2013 toy that I got by buying a kid's meal for myself...and it was the only one I managed to snag. Sadness but also yay, I got one!


My calendar with things my kids have gotten me and a locket that looks like the book that matches the ones I got my sisters (with pics of me and my hubby as teens smooching it up and about 12 years ago).


My current bookmark that I made with red glitter washi and a Dorothy sticker from Kindred Stamps. 


And here's a look back at a couple of projects. This first one is by me and is a canvas board that I collaged, stamped and painted and had the most fun making. 


I knew I had to put a rainbow in here somewhere, so I did a light painting over some cloud paper and the sentiment is a stamp from Graphic 45/Hampton Arts.


The red cellophane flower is die cut from my favorite Valentine candy, Russell Stover, that my hubby gets me every year.


The poppy, key and Dorothy are all from the Graphic 45 Wizard of Oz paper line that they reissued recently and that I just bought again. 


This next project was made for me by an online friend, Adele, that I used to hang out with on Creating Keepsakes site. She did a fabulous job and I use the album to put in notes and pics about my love for Oz. She used the same Graphic 45 paper that I bought at Scrapbook.com. They don't have it anymore but Funkie Junkie does.





It was such a generous gift of time that I will always treasure...I think crafty people are usually generous at heart. We share ideas, support and even gifts. I love that about our community. I'd better run along now, before someone drops a house on me!

Happy Friday!
Chark




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!