Monday, March 5, 2018

Oscar Fun

We always have a small Oscar party, which started about 20 years ago, with one friend. We'd dress up fancy in old bridesmaid dresses or thrift store dresses and eat finger foods and vote for the winners. After a couple of years, we ran out of fancy clothes and decided to dress from any nominated movie...even those in the Sound Editing or Animated Feature. It's been tons of fun through the years and this year was no different. This was my favorite dress, even though I am generally opposed to asymmetrical sleeves. She just looked so fabulous!



The party core group from me, my husband, Matt, and our friend, Linda, has fluctuated through the years to include our friend's husband and later, their son and then her parents and my mom and my kids. Sometimes we're all here, sometimes not and one year they were predicting Stormageddon, so we all stayed at our homes and phoned and texted and watched. Here's another favorite dress of mine. This is just fabulous.


The person who gets the most winners on their official Oscar ballot gets a little prize. Sometimes it's a trophy, a little Oscar-like statue, a Winner fridge magnet, etc. And for many years, Matt has been the winner. We took to kidding him relentlessly about how he cheated and I'd ask what he'd like for his prize this year. I think he had a total of an 8-year streak. Then he lost and then he tied one year with our daughter who was an adult by this time. This year? They were neck and neck and the girl won over her dad by just one category. And this look was sooo classy.


We ate mini hot dogs in puff pastry, nachos, mozzarella sticks, potato skins and mini bbq sandwiches. Of course there was movie candy in big boxes and popcorn. It was a fun and tasty night.

I dressed as a character from Coco, my husband was Woody Harrelson from Planet of the Apes, my daughter dressed as a literal Ladybird and my son was from the Disaster Artist. And here is a pic of our cheese plate and the cheese Oscar Matt cut out. The base is the rectangles of Co-jack cheese and then you can follow it up and see Oscar on top of the rectangles.


Here's my costume in pieces on the couch later. I drew it and Matt cut it from white cardboard. There weren't eye holes in the paper mask, so I could only wear it standing still :)


I will leave you with my least favorite dress. I love Frances and she is a huge talent, but this dress was an icky olive-y color and looked like upholstery fabric--uncomfortable and stiff. Her speech was fab, but I am vetoing this dress from any other wearings for her or anyone else.


Happy Monday!
Chark


3 comments:

  1. So fun to hear about your Oscar party!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed reading this and seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my crafty friends!