Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Happy Haunting

Since today is Halloween, I thought I'd share a couple of Halloween memories. I loved trick-or-treating as a kid, because (like most kids) I liked candy and dressing up. I was often a princess and this was the standard princess costume at the dime store in the late 70s...so I had it more than one year. And I got to be this crazy scary witch one year too in the top row, center. 




Those masks were hotter than hot, hard to see out of and if you looked at them wrong, they'd crack and split and become dangerous to play with. The costumes themselves were plastic and flimsy and not really clothes at all, but more of a plasticky apron you tied on for the night.

I don't remember the Archie mask above, but I probably would've wanted it back then, because I loved Archie comics. And I have to admit, I watch the tv show Riverdale today. It's meant for teens, but c'mon, how could you not love a buff and sensitive Archie, a Betty and Veronica team-up that includes cheerleading and threats, along with actual punching and kicking of the bad guys and a Jughead who is the cutest angsty writer/observer in Riverdale? 

My favorite costume when I was a kid was when I got to wear my older sister's baton-twirling costume. It was an all-blue sequined bodysuit and my sister let me wear it and carry her baton! However, it was freezing that year and I had to wear my WINTER COAT over the glittering goodness. Sigh. The troubles of childhood. I still looked fabulous, I'm sure, and I wore it all night. I'm also guessing I ended up owing said older teen sister some of my hard-won candy in exchange for this great favor, but I don't remember.



Happy Halloween Wednesday!
Chark

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!