Saturday, January 25, 2020

It's a Word, It's a Plan, It's Letterman

If you were a fan of PBS' Electric Company back in the 70's, you might remember this phrase. Joan Rivers was the narrator for this sketch and Letterman would fix words that were causing havoc in a scene by ripping the letter off his chest and replacing it with a better letter.


I loved that show and, when my kids were little, we got the videos from the library so they could watch them. They probably humored us, but we still say things from the skits that starred Morgan Freeman and Rita Morena.

All of that to show you some lettering I've been working on. I've always enjoyed doodling and I tried calligraphy as a teen and had a good time in art school with typography projects. So, I picked up some lettering books from the library, joined some Instagram lettering challenges and now I'm back in the lettering game.

Obviously, this was the letter B that I drew after a lettering book lesson.


These are just the horoscope names in a different font. I really dig this font and have been using it a lot lately.


This one is done in gel pen and then I scribbled over it in marker and rubbed the dark blue off the light blue gel pen.


When I saw the prompt for the lettering challenge over on IG was wild, of course I thought of animal print, so it had to be chunky letters so I could draw inside them.



If you're interested in some lettering lessons, I like the book below and you can get it from Amazon here, if you want...not an affiliate fyi, and you can head to this blog, Page Flutter,  to see her top picks for beginning letterers. 


And I recommend 80# paper or paper for laser printers, so there's a smoother surface than regular copy paper. I also recommend trying a million different pens to find what you like. I've seen people who can letter beautifully with just a pencil...but I'm not fond of graphite on paper when I'm writing, so I use either Colorit brush markers or Tombow Fudenosuke hard brush tip. If you wanna join me, I'm part of the @happyletteringchallenge group.

Happy Weekend!
Chark








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!