Friday, April 2, 2021

Children's Picture Book Day

Since I love kids' books, I was happy to see today is National Children's Picture Book Day. If my kids were still little, we'd probably celebrate with a reading tent under the table and tons of books. I'd probably have snacks to match too. In Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, she brings cheesy snacks to her teacher, so we could have had those. Lilly and Kevin Henkes are some of my favorites. This book came out when my daughter was little (1996) and it's how I discovered the author. Colleen loved Lilly and actually had a purple plastic purse with a flower on it, so that made it even better.


If you've never read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom aloud, you're missing out. It has the best rhythm and I found it when the kids were little too. It was published much earlier (1989) but I hadn't heard of it. 


One of my son's favorite picture books was The Very Hungry Caterpillar, another classic for a good reason. Great illustrations and the board book has sturdy holes in the food that kids can poke. Ben loved that part. This book is almost my age, as it was published in 1969!


Lane Smith has a ton of books but one of our faves is The Happy Hocky Family (1993). It's cute and has clever little asides for the adults and older kids.


I found Mo Willems through my kids too. His Pigeon books are adorable, Knuffle Bunny has great illustrations and his Elephant and Piggie books are favorites of my daughter's students. Yep, Colleen became a school librarian and she is fabulous at it—she's even dressed up as Elephant for her kids.


If you're looking for some children's books written by women, here's an article that highlights some. I have several of these on my library list to read, including this one, with the cutest illustrations.


And, since I was a Go-Gos fan back in the 80s, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this new picture book featuring the lyrics of We Got The Beat.



To wrap it all up, I'll share this card I made recently featuring Where The Wild Things Are stickers from The Paper House. I added nuvo drops accents and clouds and drew in a ground and added a sentiment.



I think I need to revisit some old friends from the book shelf today to celebrate!

Happy Friday!
Chark




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my crafty friends!